Report on the last HOHSG meeting – 2nd May – AGM & Group Meeting – Topic: Fire Protection Post-Grenfell

Report on the last meeting 2nd May – AGM & Group Meeting – Topic:  Fire Protection Post-Grenfell

19 members attended with Tony Bolder giving an overview of fire safety legislation and possible reasons why the Grenfell situation was allowed to occur.   Tony is an authority on fire safety and is very familiar with high-rise dwellings (check out his CV – very impressive).  He is also involved in the Hackitt review and is providing feedback on the final report which should be published in mid-May.  HOHSG members can now view Tony’s presentation as a pdf through the Members’ Menu – if it doesn’t appear to start with, check your Downloads icon (any problems, contact

Following the AGM, we are pleased to announce that Denis Fowler from York University has joined the Committee.  Unfortunately due to work commitments  Mandy Masters (Rix Shipping) and Dale Robinson (safety consultant) have resigned along with Graham Kettlewell (retired, Hull College) who wants to spend more time with his family.

Note from the Editor:  The Hackitt Review was published on Thursday 17th May and perhaps surprisingly did not recommend the banning of combustible cladding.  According to the i newspaper it has drawn considerable criticism, not least from the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) which said:  “This review should have been a defining moment.  We are extremely concerned that it has failed to act on the urgent need to immediately protect life safety.”   And the MP for Tottenham, David Lammy, considered it unthinkable that flammable [sic] cladding has not been banned.   The Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) has put out a statement urging the Government to act swiftly on the Hackitt fire safety recommendations – more details from IOSH through this link.  However, the media had already reported that Prime Minister, Theresa May, has pledged £400m to remove and replace dangerous cladding from tower blocks – 11 months after the Grenfell disaster.  Her spokesman said it would take two years.